He Ngakau Hou
He Ngakau Hou provides a 12-week specialised exercise program for whanau living with chronic illnesses such as diabetes, obesity and cardiovascular disease.
Exercise is beneficial for maintaining and improving physical and functional health, as well as overall quality of life. Our programme aims to teach safe exercise boundaries, techniques and strategies that you can use to exercise independently and safely outside of the programme The programme is overseen by a Clinical Exercise Physiologist ensuring a high level of care, supervision and guidance.
As part of the programme you will receive the following assessments:
· An initial assessment to evaluate your baseline ability and function to help us decide what your programme needs to involve and what level of supervision will be needed.
· A final assessment to document your progress during the 12-week program and to guide the development of an ongoing programme for you.
By participating in the programme, you will be making a commitment to attend and complete the full 12-week programme
For best results we recommend you attend two to three exercise sessions a week during the 12-week period.
The gym will be booked for you on the hour and you will have up to 60 minutes to complete your exercise under the supervision of our team.
Access to the He Ngakau Hou service is via a referral process
Referrals can come from
· The nurse of GP at the time of your consultation
· Your Te Puna Hauora Kaiarahi/support worker
· Self referral – ask at reception for a referral form to complete